The perfect first step into treasury and corporate finance that equips you with knowledge and tactical ‘hands-on’ skills.
Perfect for you if you are:
- considering a career in treasury or corporate finance
- in the early stages of your career and need to know about treasury
- in a role that works closely with treasury
- moving to a treasury role
CERTIFICATE IN TREASURY FUNDAMENTALS COURSE STRUCTURE
This qualification is made up of the three units below. For full ACT accreditation you will need to complete all three units and sit the assessment.
Unit 1: Introduction to the financial world
This unit sets the context for a career within treasury and introduces key concepts which are invaluable throughout your professional career.
As the first unit of your course, ‘The Financial World’ describes the environment in which all businesses and treasury professionals work. This environment includes the financial markets, accounting regulation, tax and legislation.
This unit then turns to the key topics of ethics and corporate governance, explains the fundamental importance of acting ethically at all times and how both ethics and corporate governance play a key role in all of the activities undertaken by treasury.
Finally, the unit illustrates the importance of risk identification and analysis for all organisations and for treasury and introduces the tools with which risk is managed in practice.
On completing unit one you will be able to:
- Describe the environment in which a treasury professional works, including knowledge of relevant accounting, tax, regulation and legislation.
- Explain the fundamental importance of governance, ethics, compliance and audit to the treasury function and how this contributes to the organisation as a whole.
- Describe the key tools with which risk is identified, assessed, managed, mitigated and reported in practice.
Unit 2: Principles of treasury operations
Treasury operations are the lynch pin of all treasury activity and it is essential that treasury is structured and runs in a way to meet the requirements of the organisation as a whole.
This unit examines how treasury works within the organisation and the way in which treasury may be structured to fulfil that role.
Having looked at the day to day activities undertaken by treasury, the benefits of using technology in support of treasury processes are also considered.
Finally, the unit provides a more detailed insight into the key role of a treasury function in managing cash and short term liquidity efficiently and effectively to support the organisation.
On completing unit two you will be able to:
- Explain the role of treasury in an organisation and the importance of internal and external relationships required to fulfil this role.
- Describe how a treasury function is structured and the processes and controls needed to enable its effective running.
- Explain the types of treasury technology that are available and how technology can be used effectively when carrying out treasury activities.
- Describe how the organisation’s cash and short term liquidity are managed on a day to day basis.
Unit 3: Overview of financial markets and corporate finance
A key skill required by those working within treasury is the ability to identify and put in place solutions to financial problems.
In order to be able to do this effectively, this unit describes the principal financial markets that treasurers may need to access and a number of the key products available that are particularly useful to the treasurer.
Finally, the unit introduces the concept of corporate finance and explains why the various sources of finance available to an organisation may be used to structure its finances in an optimal manner. The use of project appraisal for investment decisions (present values) are also introduced.
On completing unit three you will be able to:
- Explain the main financial markets, market participants and products used by treasury when looking at ways of raising funds for the organisation (including the equity and debt markets).
- Outline the key considerations when undertaking money market, foreign currency and interest rate transactions.
- Define corporate finance (the relationship between risk and return and the principles of present value when selecting investments) and demonstrate awareness of how funding decisions are made.
⬤ How you study
Course materials are online so you can start your studies any time. There are five online assessment windows every year. This means you can study until you feel ready and then you can book your assessment time for the next available window.
⬤ Study time
Complete all units in just 3 - 6 months. 150 study hours in total.
⬤ Learning licence
Access to the online course for 12 months.
One online multiple choice assessment (1.5 hours).
You can take your assessment from anywhere in the world, wherever you have a reliable internet connection. Find out more.
Course fee £630
Student membership fee £100 (valid for the duration of your 12 month learning licence, or until you pass your full qualification, whichever is soonest.)
Assessment fee £100
⬤ Entry requirements
There are no entry requirements for this certificate.
If you are ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW qualified or qualified with an IFAC recognised body, you are exempt from the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals.
Click here to check accountancy exemptions information.
If you have sufficient prior work experience or hold a relevant qualification, you may be exempt from this certificate. Check the entry requirements for the Certificate in Treasury to see if that might be your starting point on the qualifications pathway.
When booking onto the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals you will need to become a student member of the ACT. Your CertTF student membership is valid for the duration of your 12 month learning licence, or until you pass your full qualification, whichever is soonest.
Student membership gives you access to lots of great things:
- booking your assessment
- subscription to The Treasurer magazine
- careers resources
- events, regional groups and webinars
- policy and technical updates
- mentoring service
Remember to take advantage of these membership benefits - they really help make your introduction into treasury a fuller experience and will ensure you make valuable contacts which can impact your career, especially if you’re just starting out! When you have successfully completed the certificate, you will be eligible to use the designatory letters CertTF. These are the internationally recognised letters that go after your name that recruiters and employers look out for as they show you are a very credible candidate. You can find out more about ACT membership here.
The ACT Educational Trust is a charity that promotes the treasury profession through education and support. The Trust offers bursaries to assist students from developing countries who are unable to fund or gain sponsorship for their studies, to study for an ACT qualification. The bursary covers the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals course fee (£630), student membership fee (£100) and assessment fee (£100). Having successfully completed the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals, students can then apply for a bursary to cover the Certificate in Treasury and Diploma in Treasury Management.
When you are ready to book, you will be asked to create an ACT Learning Academy account if you haven’t already got one.
Have your credit / debit card details to hand; you will be required to make online payment through WorldPay. Upon submission, you will receive an automated summary email.
Your booking will be processed within five working days. You will be sent a booking confirmation with information on how to start your studies and at this time you will become an eAffiliate member of the ACT.
A student membership fee is payable on booking. Your student membership is valid for the duration of your 12 month learning licence, or until you pass your full qualification, whichever is soonest.
Online course fee: *
GBP 630 | AED 2,950 | USD 805
Student membership fee: *
GBP 100 | AED 470 | USD 130
If you are eligible for an exemption from this qualification, you can buy your exemption here.
GBP 100 | AED 470 | USD 130
* Fees are subject to local rate of VAT where applicable
INTENSIVE REVISION WORKSHOP
These one-day revision workshops are fast paced and focus on preparing you for your assessment. Your expert tutor brings their industry expertise to the classroom, covering assessment preparation techniques, revision, tutor-structured solutions and assessment question practice.
- Question banks provided before and after the course for additional question practice
- Benefit from tutor expertise with tutor-structured solutions
- Increased confidence in your ability to tackle the assessment
- Take home printed revision notes to recap
- Supported by your tutor at any time via the ‘Ask the tutor email’
- 27 March 2019 (book by 13 March 2019 to secure your place).
For further details, please see the brochure below.
Your online assessment can be booked at any time through the ACT. You can book straight away or wait until closer to the booking deadline.
Fee: £100 *
* Fees are subject to local rate of VAT where applicable
We can also deliver treasury fundamentals learning to companies with teams that are interested in taking either the full qualification or selected units, and tailor it to your business needs. Find out more about in-company solutions here