The perfect first step into treasury and corporate finance that equips you with knowledge and tactical ‘hands-on’ skills.
IS THE CERTIFICATE IN TREASURY FUNDAMENTALS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Perfect for you if you are:
- considering a career in treasury or corporate finance
- in the early stages of your career and need to know about treasury
- in a role that works closely with treasury
- moving to a treasury role
CERTIFICATE IN TREASURY FUNDAMENTALS KEY FACTS
3 - 6 months; 150 study hours
One online assessment (1.5 hours)
Online course fee £560. Assessment fee £75.
There are no entry requirements for this certificate.
CERTIFICATE IN TREASURY FUNDAMENTALS COURSE STRUCTURE
This qualification is made up of the three units below. For full ACT accreditation you will need to complete all three units and sit the assessment.
Unit 1: Introduction to the financial world
This unit sets the context for a career within treasury and introduces key concepts which are invaluable throughout your professional career.
As the first unit of your course, ‘The Financial World’ describes the environment in which all businesses and treasury professionals work. This environment includes the financial markets, accounting regulation, tax and legislation.
This unit then turns to the key topics of ethics and corporate governance, explains the fundamental importance of acting ethically at all times and how both ethics and corporate governance play a key role in all of the activities undertaken by treasury.
Finally, the unit illustrates the importance of risk identification and analysis for all organisations and for treasury and introduces the tools with which risk is managed in practice.
On completing unit one you will be able to:
- Describe the environment in which a treasury professional works, including knowledge of relevant accounting, tax, regulation and legislation.
- Explain the fundamental importance of governance, ethics, compliance and audit to the treasury function and how this contributes to the organisation as a whole.
- Describe the key tools with which risk is identified, assessed, managed, mitigated and reported in practice.
Unit 2: Principles of treasury operations
Treasury operations are the lynch pin of all treasury activity and it is essential that treasury is structured and runs in a way to meet the requirements of the organisation as a whole.
This unit examines how treasury works within the organisation and the way in which treasury may be structured to fulfil that role.
Having looked at the day to day activities undertaken by treasury, the benefits of using technology in support of treasury processes are also considered.
Finally, the unit provides a more detailed insight into the key role of a treasury function in managing cash and short term liquidity efficiently and effectively to support the organisation.
On completing unit two you will be able to:
- Explain the role of treasury in an organisation and the importance of internal and external relationships required to fulfil this role.
- Describe how a treasury function is structured and the processes and controls needed to enable its effective running.
- Explain the types of treasury technology that are available and how technology can be used effectively when carrying out treasury activities.
- Describe how the organisation’s cash and short term liquidity are managed on a day to day basis.
Unit 3: Overview of financial markets and corporate finance
A key skill required by those working within treasury is the ability to identify and put in place solutions to financial problems.
In order to be able to do this effectively, this unit describes the principal financial markets that treasurers may need to access and a number of the key products available that are particularly useful to the treasurer.
Finally, the unit introduces the concept of corporate finance and explains why the various sources of finance available to an organisation may be used to structure its finances in an optimal manner. The use of project appraisal for investment decisions (present values) are also introduced.
On completing unit three you will be able to:
- Explain the main financial markets, market participants and products used by treasury when looking at ways of raising funds for the organisation (including the equity and debt markets).
- Outline the key considerations when undertaking money market, foreign currency and interest rate transactions.
- Define corporate finance (the relationship between risk and return and the principles of present value when selecting investments) and demonstrate awareness of how funding decisions are made.
When booking onto the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals you will become an eAffiliate member of the ACT for up to 12 months.
This gives you access to lots of great things:
- online subscription to The Treasurer magazine
- careers resources
- free-to-member events
- regional groups and webinars
- policy and technical updates
- mentoring service
Remember to take advantage of these membership benefits - they really help make your introduction into treasury a fuller experience and will ensure you make valuable contacts which can impact your career, especially if you’re just starting out! When you have successfully completed the certificate, you will be eligible to use the designatory letters CertTF. These are the internationally recognised letters that go after your name that recruiters and employers look out for as they show you are a very credible candidate. You can find out more about ACT membership here.
The ACT Educational Trust is a charity that promotes the treasury profession through education and support. The Trust offers bursaries to assist students from developing countries who are unable to fund or gain sponsorship for their studies, to study for an ACT qualification. The bursary covers the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals course fee (£550) and assessment fee (£75). Having successfully completed the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals, students can then apply for a bursary to cover the Certificate in Treasury and Diploma in Treasury Management.
When you are ready to book, you will be asked to create an ACT Learning Academy account if you haven’t already got one. You will need to provide date of birth, full postal address, telephone number and email address.
Have your credit / debit card details to hand; you will be required to make online payment through WorldPay. Upon submission, you will receive an automated summary email.
Your booking will be processed within five working days. You will be sent a booking confirmation with information on how to start your studies and at this time you will become an eAffiliate member of the ACT.
Your fees include up to one year's free eAffiliate membership.
Webinar and podcasts
This package provides flexible and interactive learning for those who want to learn on the go and be supported in any location, wherever you have internet access. You will have access to the online content supporting your webinar and podcasts package for 90 days upon booking.
- Access to five short and informative podcasts plus associated activities
- Pre-recorded webinars and associated activities to help solidify your learning
- Study at any location wherever you have internet access
- Supported by your tutor at any time via the ‘Ask the tutor' email
For webinar and podcast topics, see the brochure below. Please note the products available in this package are the same as those included in the Classroom+ Workshop package.
This one-day revision workshop is fast paced and focuses on preparing you for your assessment. Your expert tutor will bring their industry expertise to the classroom, covering assessment preparation techniques, revision, tutor-structured solutions and assessment question practice. Intensive revision are run in London.
- A one-day classroom workshop taught by an expert tutor with printed revision notes to recap
- Question banks provided before and after the course for additional question practice
- Tutor-structured solutions and assessment question practice
- Increased confidence in your ability to tackle the assessment
- Supported by your tutor at any time via the ‘Ask the tutor email’
For further information, see the brochure and timetable below.
We can also deliver treasury fundamentals learning to companies with teams that are interested in taking either the full qualification or selected units, and tailor it to your business needs. Find out more about in-company solutions here